House - which now has a National Trust classification
was built around 1900 and was originally named “Kia
Ora”. It was the home of Mr F. W. C. Schaeffer
who became the first City Architect in 1909.
The workmanship and fittings are very fine and some of
the finishing was done by Mr Schaeffer himself. No water
was laid on as he thought it might ruin the foundations.
After changing hands
several times and being turned into flats, it was bought
on 26th November 1966 and faithfully restored by the
Grafton City Council to house the records and material
collected by the Clarence River Historical Society.
Mrs Schaeffer was a
noted gardener and the grounds in the early days were
very fine, with statues, a sunken garden and rare plants.
One very large tree that is still standing is a Norfolk
Mr Schaeffer was a fine
singer as was one of his sons, Ludwig. The people of
Grafton gave Ludwig a complimentary concert before he
left for Germany to further his career as a singer. He
eventually made his home in Germany.