from : "The City of Grafton" a
1981 CRHS Publication.
original Grammar School was started in 1874 by Rev. Newton
with 13 pupils who boarded at the Vicarage. In 1878, the
new brick building was started in Mary Street.
Newton sold the school to Mr. Mclnnes who engaged Havelock
Ellis as his assistant but died before he arrived and Havelock
Ellis found himself, at 18 years of age, the Headmaster
1877-8. In later life he became a noted English author.
were admitted as day pupils in 1882. The building finished
as a school in the late 1890’s and became a private
residence. The whole area was later purchased by the Department
of Education and the foundation stone of Grafton’s
noted High School was set by Sir Gerald Strickland, Governor
of New South Wales, on 6th May, 1914.
old school was used as the Headmaster’s residence
and in 1972 became the Teacher’s Centre.